Tuesday 6 July 2010

16 days to go - camping it is then

Over the last couple of days I have been cycling as much as I can, although certainly not as much as I would have liked. I have made progress in other areas though, mainly in maps and camping.

After looking through the road maps in Waterstones, I noticed that the Phillip's Complete Road Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland show campsites. Much detail is not included, but it is adequate for an end-to-end bike ride of Britain. I wanted to test a couple of the campsites to make sure they do exist and can be found, so I loaded Google Maps and used Streetview to do a virtual bike ride of an area. Three out of the three sites I looked for do indeed exist.

I have decided to camp during the trip. I estimate it will add around 3 kg to the bike. If I leave the bike lock at home, then that's a net weight of just over 1 kg. After searching the internet about the type of equipment I would need for this kind of journey, I decided on the following:

Terra Nova Laser Competition tent (very lightweight, vestibule for cooking when raining, mid-priced)

Trangia 27-1 stove (compact all in one design, upgradable with gas stove, good price)


The North Face Blue Kazoo sleeping bag (lightweight, suitable for colder nights)


All three items were heavily discounted. Hopefully I can sell them afterwards without loosing too much money.

No comments:

Post a Comment