Tuesday 20 July 2010

2 days to go - follow me on my journey

With only two days left before I start my 1,200 mile bicycle journey from Lands End to John o'Groats, I have set up a couple of webpages so you can follow me on my trip.

This will be my last post until I finish the trip. Please use Twitter and Ovi (see below) to follow the journey as it unfolds.

Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/jg1983b
I will post comments to Twitter regularly using my mobile phone - you will see them instantly as I send them. Twitter messages, or 'tweets' are a bit like text messages but using the internet instead of a mobile phone network. You don't have to sign up to view my tweets, just go to the URL above. If you prefer to do it from some other application, my Twitter username is jg1983b

Ovi
http://share.ovi.com/album/jg1983.lejog?tab=map
Ovi is Nokia's media sharing service. As I cycle through Britain, I will take lots of photographs using my Nokia phone and upload them instantly to the Ovi page above. The photos will appear on a map of Britain so you can see where I have been, and guess where I will go next.

Currently, there is just one photo to view, but it is just a test photo that I made from Birmingham. As soon as I start the bicycle ride on Thursday, you will see lots of images appear from Lands Ends onwards.

GPS
I will also try attempt to map my journey using GPS if my cheap solar panel can power my phone for long enough. That depends on how sunny it is. I will upload them after I get back in a couple of weeks if it works.

3 comments:

  1. Hey you are in the local paper!!! http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/8280472.Wilsden_man_to_raise_funds_for_Bradford_Royal_Infirmary_leukaemia_ward/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean they didn't go for 'Crazed, underprepared neophyte attempts Channel crossing on Bicycle'? I am surprised. We are watching JG, so when is the GPS stream up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As it turns out, I was unable to power my mobile phone constantly, which meant I couldn't have the GPS turned on all the time. I kept a note of where I went, so I will publish a Google Maps map with the exact route in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete