Saturday 28 August 2010

Help me to raise money for Cancer Research

On 22nd July 2010 I will begin cycling from Lands End in Cornwall to John o'Groats in Scotland to raise money for the Annette Fox Leukaemia Research Fund. Please kindly sponsor me by donating at my  JustGiving.com webpage.

I will cycle the 1,200 mile journey in less than two weeks, averaging about 85 miles each day on my second hand thirty-year-old bike, posting on this blog every day during the journey. Prior to this, the longest distance I have cycled in one go is probably less than 15 miles.

Background

In the last three years, Jennie, my sister, and Ron, my father were diagnosed with leukemia and esophageal cancer respectively. Thankfully, both are now in remission and out of hospital. My dad's health has been weakened and he cannot go back to his old job as a joiner. My sister's treatment left her needing bilateral total hip replacement surgery which is scheduled for end of July 2010 - during my bike ride across Britain.


The treatment for leukemia is especially unpleasant and lasted for more than two years. Exceptionally low blood counts made fatal infections a daily worry. Jennie spent most of her time in Ward 7 at the Bradford Royal Infirmary, which the Annette Fox Leukaemia Research Fund helped to refurbish. They also fund an aromatherapist who provides complementary therapy treatment for the patients.

Jennie and co. have been knitting various topical items to fundraise for the Annette Fox Leukaemia Research Fund. More info on that here.


No comments:

Post a Comment