Thursday 1 July 2010

20 days to go - I need a map

When I got back...

Long story, long route. Too tired to explain now. Will post tomorrow.

The day after...

Despite some quite timeconsuming planning, yesterday's cycle didn't go as planned. Two wrong turns increased the planned distance of 26.4 miles to 39.5 miles. Despite the last ten miles being quite tiring, I was actually quite glad to find out that I could cope with such setbacks mentally and physically. Although it's still only half of what I'll have to do everyday for two weeks during the actual ride.

I had worked out a route of the northern villages of Cambridge using Google Maps. Planned route: Cambridge to Waterbeech, Landbeech, Cottenham, Rampton, Willingham, Over, Swavesy, Longstanton, Oakington, Girton, and back to Cambridge. 26.4 miles of flat B roads. Easy.

But my printer had run out of toner. No problem: I new I had an emergency bottle of Lucozade in my bag and lights for my bike, so I felt invincible. I wrote the directions down on a piece of paper and took them with me instead. But I made an error at some point, got lost and I ended up circling the villages of north Cambridge probably more than once. This was actually quite exciting, but quickly got frustrating: a wrong turn can result in a huge detour on these long and featureless roads.

On realising I had gone round in circles for two hours, I had a break and ate fish and chips in a wheat field. I got comfortable, stayed there for half an hour or so, and if I had anywhere to rest my head I would have fallen asleep. After forcing myself back onto the bike, my legs protested and the return home was a hard slog. Note to self: do not eat a full meal during a bike ride. Or rather, don't take any money on a ride to avoid the temptation. Lesson learned.

Today (19 days to go) is a day off - the bike is having the wheels serviced by the local bike shop because they wobble a bit and have a few loose spokes. When the bike is ready later today, I'll take some photos of me with the bike so we can make a start on the publicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment